Monday 21 May 2012

DAN




Dan seemed innocuous. He was the first to respond to my half filled out ad, telling me, “You need to change your picture, dear. Guys wont respond if they can't see your eyes.” The picture that I had chosen was a favourite from a recent vacation, hours after arriving in Paris and about to tuck into an amazing dessert. I love this picture because the expression of joy and glee on my face is so earnest, and because my hair looks so fantastic. He was right though. I was staring down at my food and as soon as I changed the photo to one where I was staring into the camera I began to get a lot more hits.



To thank Dan for his advice, I accepted his invitation to coffee. It was a Friday night and I chose a place downtown that was well lit and well attended for the occasion of my first internet date. His profile didn't say much specific about him. He mentioned having written several screenplays, but his personality and interests were vaguely described. I wasn't excited about Dan, but I was excited by the possibilities the medium promised and anxious to get started on my adventure. I viewed this as a practise date, but left myself open to opportunity. You never know!



Dan was waiting for me in his blue jacket when I got there. He had already bought himself a coffee so I got in line and bought one for myself and we settled into a booth. Those first few minutes were awkward. All that nervous energy, and not knowing where to begin. 






  



And that is pretty much how it went. The date lasted an hour. He told me that he gets his movies from the library and that he recently went through a very dark period. It was a crap first date, but walking home I felt oddly exhilarated by the possibility that the next one might not be, and I couldn't wait to find out.



No comments:

Post a Comment